PLACES OF INTEREST
Sahib is a place where the two younger sons (Sahibzada Jorawar Singh and
Sahibzada Fateh Singh) of Guru Gobind Singh were bricked alive by Wazir Khan
the then Fauzdar of Sirhind in 1704. The place was inside the fort of
Sirhind (built by Ferozeshah Tuglak ). With the victory of Banda Bairagi
over Sirhind in 1710 the fort was raised to ground and to commemorate the memory of martyred
Sahibzadas, the place was named Fatehgarh Sahib after the names of younger
Sahibzada Fateh Singh. Now a magnificent Gurudwara Fatehgarh Sahib stands here.
Keeping in view the historical and
religious importance of the place
Fatehgarh Sahib was made a district at the time of the formation of PEPSU in
1948. In 1953, Fatehgarh Sahib District was merged with Patiala District and
made subdivision of it. Again on
The tahsil-wise description of various places of interest in the district having historical and religious and archaeological significance of tourist attraction has been given below:
Fatehgarh Sahib /Sirhind
Fatehgarh Sahib /Sirhind is the most historical town of the State.
Sirhind was made capital of Satardu kingdom in the seventh century. This fact
has also been authenticated by Hieun Tsang, the Chinese pilgrim. Under the later Hindushahi rulers, the place
was elevated to the status of State
Capital and became a major frontier defence post. Later on, Sirhind reached its pinnacle of
glory during Muslim period. The period
from Akbar to Aurangzeb is considered the golden period in the history of this
city. It was then one of the most
flourishing town of the Mughal Empire having 360 mosques, tombs, serais
and wells. It is situated on Sher Shah Suri Marg between Ambala and
Khanna. It is about 47 km from
In the medieval period, Sirhind had become a great centre for trade. Because of its proximity to the hills, Chinese goods were pouring in large quantities for commercial purpose. This increasing amount of trade added to the prosperity of the people of Sirhind. Seth Todar Mal, a native and a businessman of Sirhind rose to the position of the Diwan of Sirhind. He proved himself to be an efficient administrator of Sirhind and this town made much progress under him.
There is thus no doubt that under
the patronage of Akbar, Jahangir and Shah Jahan, Sirhind continued to march on
the road to peace and prosperity and it became one of the most flourishing
towns of the Mughal Empire. However, the
policy of religious persecution launched by Aurangzeb reversed the whole
development of Sirhind. In 1704, a
single act of barbarity of the execution of two innocent sons of Guru Gobind
Singh committed by Wazir Khan, the then Faujdar of Sirhind, had the
effect of a curse on the prosperity of this ancient town. The Sikhs considered
Sirhind as an instrument of the sufferings of Guru Gobind Singh and for this
prejudice they destroyed it time and again.
The first severest blow to Sirhind was given by the Sikhs under the
leadership of Banda Bahadur who was able to capture it from the Muslims in 1710
and established Sikh rule here for a short time. Later on, this town was included in
After passing through many
catastrophic events, Sirhind is a developing town. It has a number of educational institutions
There are still remnants of many palatial buildings of medieval times which speak of a very high standard of masonry of those time. Tombs of Ustad and Shagird, mosque of Saint Butcher Sadna and Jahaji haveli of Seth Todar Mal are fine specimens of art, craft and masonry of those times. The mosque of Sadna Kasai (Butcher), has been renovated. Unique features regarding the medieval housing pattern was that almost all the houses had basements (Bhoras), where the inmates of the houses could hide whenever they were attacked by foreign invader, these basements can still be seen in many of the old houses of the town.
The great Tirtha of the
Sikhs, Gurudwara Fatehgarh Sahib lies just on the out-skirts of Sirhind
Gurudwara Fatehgarh Sahib.- The Gurdwara with its annexes commemorates the
martyrdom of the two younger sons, Sahibzada Zorawar Singh (9 Years) and
Sahibzada Fateh Singh (7 Years) of Guru Gobind Singh, who refused to apostatise
from religion and truth under threat from Wazir Khan, the then Fauzdar
of Sirhind. They were bricked alive in 1704 and were suffocated to death in the
walls which were raised around them. A
memorial with the name of Fatehgarh Sahib was raised in 1710 during the
days of Banda Bahadur over the spot
where the two Sahibzadas (Sons of Guru Gobind Singh) were bricked alive. After
the final Sikh conquest of Sirhind in 1964, the place was occupied by Maharaja
Ala Singh, the founder of the
The main entrance to the Gurudwara was built by MaharajaYadvindra
Gurudwara Burj Mata Gujri is located in the main complex of Gurudwara Fatehgarh Sahib. On the site where Mata Gujri and her two little grand sons, Fateh Singh and Zorawar Singh were kept in detention and receipt of the shocking news of their execution, the Mata breathed her last. During those times, this part of the fort was known as Thanda Burj which was considered a cool place during the summer. But it was a punishment for Guru’s sons and his mother to keep them here in extreme winter. Later on, Gurudwara Mata Gujri was constructed in her memory at this place.
A Gurdwara known as Gurudwara Shahid Ganj no.1 has been built to commemorate the memory of those 6,000 brave Sikhs who laid down their lives while fighting with the Mughal forces under the banner of Banda Bahadur. The place is also called Chhe Hazar Shahidan Da Katalgarh Angetha (sacrificial furnace of 6,000 martyrs).
Another gurdwara known as Gurdwara Bibangarh Sahib has been built at the place when the bibans (biers) of Mata Gujri and her grandsons were prepared before cremation.
A very big hall in the memory of Seth Todar Mal who purchased land by paying gold coins for the cremation of the said martyrs has been constructed behind the main gurdwara. A big tank has also been built in the complex. A big Jor Mela is held here in the month of December every year when a large number of people from far and near visit this place.
Gurdwara Jyoti Sarup.- This
gurdwara is about 2 km to the south of Gurdwara Fatehgarh Sahib and on
Sirhind-Chandigarh road. It was at this
place where cremation ceremonies of Mata Gujri, the mother of Guru Gobind Singh
and his two younger sons Zorawar Singh and Fateh Singh were performed under
duress. It is said that Wazir Khan
refused to allow the cremation of bodies unless the land for this purpose was
purchased by spreading gold coins (mohurs). Seth Todar Mal who was an ardent devotee of
Guru Gobind Singh, purchased this piece of land by offering gold coins as
demanded. In order to pay tribute to
Todar Mal for his act of courage and bravery, the road leading to this gurdwara
and further going to
Gurdwara Shahid Ganj.-There is one more gurdwara called Gurdwara Shahid Ganj. It is situated just half a km from Gurdwara Fatehgarh Sahib. It commemorates the martyrdom of those Sikhs who were killed by the tyrannical Mughals. It is said that at this place bullock carts loaded with the corpses of slain Sikhs, which were being taken to Delhi by the Mughal forces for getting prize, were captured by the Sikh warriors of this area and cremated.
Rauza Sharif.-The Rauza or
Dargah of Hazrat Mujaddid- Alfi-Sani Sheikh Abmad Farooqi is situated at
a small distance to the north of Gurdwara Fatehgarh Sahib. Of all the tombs,
big or small of Sirhind, the mausoleums of Mujaddid and his successors are
undoubtedly the best maintained. Theses are regarded as very sacred by the
Muslims. in general and the nobility of
The mausoleum is a fine
building made of bricks partly overlaid with stone and marble. Close to it there is the mausoleum of
Rati-ud-Din, an ancestor of the Mujadid. Not far here are the rauzas of
Mujaddid’s sons Khawaja Muhammad Sadiq and Khwaja Muhammad Masum. The rauja
of latter is some times called rauza chini on account of its excellent
mosaic work. In its premises are many other graves of the members of the house
of the said reformer and some members of the ruling family of
Tomb of Ustad and Shagird.- There are two tombs situated at a distance of about one kilometre
west of Rauza Sharif in village Talanian, these are commonly known as the tombs
of Ustad (master mason) and Shagird (apprentice mason). It is said that these
buildings were constructed by them during their life-time, some times in 16th
century. The tombs separated from each other by a distance of about 200 metres,
are fair examples of contemporary architectural skill, including glazed
ornamentation. The design of two are identical but there are few differences in
minor details. The building of Ustad’s tomb has
been protected under the Punjab Ancient and
Tomb of Mir-I-Miran, Sirhind.- This tomb is situated 5 kilometre north to the Aam Khas Bagh, Sirhind and is connected by a link road. The tomb of Mir-I-Miran is the only important building of stone in Sirhind. Alexander Cunningham has referred to it “as the finest and oldest building of Sirhind. Altogether, the tomb of Mir-I-Miran is one of the most perfect specimen of the later Pathan or earlier Afghan architecture”. It is believed that Mir-I-Miran was a great saint of the place to whom Bahlol Lodhi’s daughter were married. Another important old monument in the vicinity of Mir-I-Miran’s tomb is a tank called Bibi sar, meaning Lady’s Tank. It is said that this tank was constructed by Bahlol’s daughter after the death of her husband. According to another tradition the tank was constructed by Sultan Sikander Lodhi in the name of his sister, wife of Mir-I-Miran. Sultan Bahlol was crowned at Sirhind, he would therefore regard it as a fortunate place for himself and the area was given in Jagir by Sultan Lodhi to a holy man, together with his daughter’s hand. After the Saints death, the present tomb was built by Bahlol Lodhi and known as tomb of Mir-I-Miran. Sultan Bahlol was crowned at Sirhind, he would therefore regarded it as a fortunate place for himself and the area was given in Jagir by Sultan Lodhi to a holy man, together with his daughter’s hand. After the saint’s death, the present tomb was built by Bahlol Lodhi and known as tomb of Mir-I-Miran.
Aam Khas Bagh.- One of the
most remarkable monuments of the Mughal period the Bagh Aam Khas (some
times pronounced as Aam-o-khas Bagh) is situated on the eastern side of
the city, not far away from the main road from Sirhind to Bassi Pathana. The
Aam Khas Bagh, which as its name denotes was a highway-inn for the use of
royalty as well as common people which was initially built by Babar extended
and almost rebuilt by Emperor Shah Jahan.
Both Jahangir and Shah Jahan used to stay here while going to and coming
The brief description of the monuments situated in the vicinity of the Aam Khas Bagh is as under:
(1) Sard Khana.-This monument was got built by emperor Jahangir.This is an air conditioned chamber of that time. The water was pulled out through large pulleys from the adjoining well and was passed through water channels running through the walls of this building and was used for fountains and creating water falls.
(2) Sheesh Mahal.- This beautiful building was known as Daulat-Khana-E-Khas and was also called Sheesh Mahal. This was got built by the orders of Emperor Jahangir. There have been some subsequent alterations in the original building. The domes of this monument were decorated with glazed tiles, some of which can be noticed even today.
(3) Hamam (
(4) Tank.- This tank was got prepared by orders of Emperor Jahangir. There was a Mehtabi-Chabutra in the centre which has fallen down. On the east and west sides of this tank quarters for Mughal Employees were built. The total area of the complex is 700 x 485 the Tank is 320 x 280. On the northern side there was a beautiful enclosure having a garden 600 x 400 during those times.
(5) Daulat Khana-E-Khas.- This double storeyed monument was got built by Mughal Emperor Shah Jahan as his private residence. This must have been the most beautiful building of those time. All the rooms and main walls of this building were decorated with designs. The central hall measured 18 x 14 and eastern walls were having two tall minarets. On the northern side there were many tanks and fountains which added to the grandeur of this building.
Dargah of Baba Salar Pir.-The Dargah of Baba Salar Pir is situated in old Sirhind near Das Nami Akhara. It is held in great esteem by people of Sirhind and surrounding area. Baba Salar Pir is said to be the contemporary of Guru Gobind Singh. He was known for his spiritual powers and performance of miracles. It is believed that he could make a wall move through his spiritual power.
Dera Baba Das Nami Akhara.- Dera Baba Das Nami Akhara is situated very close to the dargah of Baba Salar Pir. It commemorates the memory of Baba Hardit Giri who was a great saint. Annual congregation of saint is held here for three days on Friday, Saturday and Sunday after Diwali. On Monday, a grand bhandara is held in which food cooked in pure desi ghee is served to the people. Preachers come from distant places and deliver religious sermons to the people.
Dera Baba Dyal Puri.-Close to Dera Baba
Das Nami Akhara, another religious place known as Dera Baba Dyal Puri is
located. it commemorates the sacred
memory of Baba Dyal Puri who was a saintly figure. He was also a contemporary of Guru Gobind
Singh. The dera is managed by the same
body which looks after the Dera Baba Das Nami Akhara. It is believed that the present town of
Floating Restaurant, Sirhind.-Floating
restaurant constructed over the
period of Princely rule Amloh was a Nizamat headquarter (District) of
situated on Nabha-Gobindgarh road and is at a distance of about 12 km from Gobindgarh. It was originally founded by Fair Bakhsh, the
Governor of Sirhind. After the fall of
the Sirhind in 1763, Amloh was annexed by Raja Hamir Singh, the ruler of
lies on Sher Shah Suri Marg between Khanna and Sirhind and is about 7 km east
of Khanna. It is also connected by
metalled road with Amloh its Tahsil headquarters and is a railway station on
Delhi-Amritsar railway line. It is the
most flourishing industrial town in Fatehgarh Sahib District as well as in the
State and is well-known as ‘
The sagacious Maharaja Hira Singh of
Nabha sowed the seeds of industry by starting some industrial units in this
town in 1902. Maharaja Partap Singh took
some special measures for the industrial development of the town. The town which developed as a small iron and
steel market during the World War-I when there was no control on iron and steel
The important places of interest of the town are briefly described as under:
Gurdwara Sri Har Gobind Sahib Ji, Chhevin Padshahi, Mandi Gobindgarh.- This magnificent gurdwara is situated near railway station. It has been built in the sacred memory of Guru Hargobind who stayed here for two months. The Guru stayed nearby a big sarovar (tank) where the present gurdwara has been built. This then known as Barri Dhab (big tank). It has also been authenticated by the Shiromani Gurdwara Prabhandhak Committee that the name then known as ‘Barri Dhab’ was adopted as ‘ Gobindgarh’ after the name of Guru Har Gobind. Regarding the historicity of the site of the Gurdwara, Bhai Kahan Singh Nabha, in his book ‘Guru Shabad Ratanakar Mahankosh’ at page 430 has stated( translation) as under:
“Mandi Gobindgarh has been named after the name of a small village Gobindgarh situated in Tahsil and Police Station Amloh, where sixth Guru of the Sikhs, Shri Guru Hargobind Sahib stayed for two months during 1646 at the tank of big sarovar known in those days as ‘Barri Dhab’ in Punjabi. He was accompanied by his followers and warriors. Some clash occurred between Guru Sahib’s Lashkar (sepoys) and then Mughal Fauj in which swords of some sepoys went blunt and broke. They then requested Guru Sahib that there was not even a tiny tissue of steel in this area for repair of their weapon so how could they fight further. Guru Sahib smilingly said “some day this place will be big steel producing centre in the country where you say that no steel is available for repair of the weapons”. Then the sepoys were directed to a nearly place, where they found some steel scraps and repaired their weapons. The village (repair place ) is now known as ‘Lohar Majra’.
Therefore, according to Sikh traditions, Mandi Govindgarh has become the biggest steel re-rolling centre of the country, due to the blessings of Guru Hargobind. The structure of the gurdwara is marvellous. There is a big tank for taking holy bath. People of surrounding areas visit this place in large numbers every month during Puranmashi (full moon) . A big annual fair is also held at this place in the month of June at the birthday of Guru Hargobind.
Ram Mandir, Mandi Govindgarh.- This temple has been built near the G T Road. It is visited by a large number of people. There are grand idols of Lord Hanuman, Durga Mata, Ram, Laxman and Sita installed in the temple. This temple is maintained by a trust known as ‘Ram Mandir Trust’. Adjacent to the temple there is a grand dharamshala known as ‘Ram Bhavan’ which has also been built by the trust. This dharamshala has quite modern structure and provides adequate amenities for accommodating visitors and marriage parties.
Bassi Pathana then known a Basi was the headquarters of Nizamat (District) Amargarh of Erstwhile Princely State of Patiala. After Independence, on the formation of PEPSU, Fatehgarh Sahib was made a district with its headquarters at Bassi Pathana, but with the merger of Fatehgarh Sahib District with Patiala District it became the headquarter of Fatehgarh Subdivision which were later shifted to Fatehgarh Sahib. Keeping in view the importance of the town Bassi Pathana was made a subdivision after the formation Fatehgarh Sahib as a District. It is a small town located between Sirhind and Morinda. It has a railway station on Sirhind-Nangal Dam railway line and is connected by metalled roads with Fatehgarh and Morinda.
It appears that Bassi was founded in 1540 by an Afghan, Malik Haider Khan, who settled here during the reign of Sher Shah Suri and named the place after his own name. After the sack of Sirhind by the Sikhs in 1763, it was occupied by Sardar Diwan Singh of the Dallewala Misl. Later on it passed on to the possession of Maharaja of Patiala.
The old fort of Sardar Diwan Singh in dilapidated condition can still be seen. Some parts of fort are in good condition, wherein a Government Primary School and Sub-Jail are situated.
In the heart of the town, there is located a smadh of Baba Budh Dass. It is believed that with the blessings of the Baba, the desires of the people are fulfilled. There is a house near the fort called the Darbar Sahib, where a hair of Prophet Mohammad’s beard was kept in a glass showcase and the Muslims used to visit the place on the Prophet’s birthday and his death anniversary. This historical hair was taken away to Pakistan in 1947 by its Muslim custodians.
Sant Namdev Temple, Bassi Pathana.- It is said that in Bassi Pathana, Sant Namdev (who was born on 26 October 1270 in Maharashtra) stayed for a considerable period and preached Bhagti Marg (way to worship God) to the people of the area. Thence, he moved to other parts of the Punjab for spreading his religious message. Sant Namdev’s sermons in 61 ‘Shalokas’ have been included in Guru Granth Sahib by Guru Arjan Dev Ji at the time of its compilation. This place became known as Swami Namdev Ji Ka Dera. A magnificent temple was constructed at this place in 1925. The affairs of this temple are managed by all India Sant Nam Dev Sabha (Regd.) with headquarters at Bassi Pathana. A big fair is held here for three days on Basant Panchmi when a large number of persons from other states also visit this place.
A brief description about the important places of historical interest of Khamano Tahsil is given as under:
It is a small town situated on Ludhiana-Chandigarh road at a distance of 18 kilometres from Samrala. It was part of Ludhiana District and on 13 April 1992, Khamano along with surrounding areas was transferred to the newly created district of Fatehgarh Sahib District and made a subdivision. In 1997 the village Khamano was raised to status of a town by forming a Nagar Panchayat there. It is connected by road with Morinda, Samrala and Khanna. The population of the town during the year 2001 Census was 8,842.
Sanghol.- Sanghol, popularly known as Ucha Pind, in Khamano Tahsil of Fatehgarh District is situated about 5 kilometres from the tahsil headquarters and about 40 kms from Chandigarh on the Chandigarh-Ludhiana road. Prior to Independence Sanghol formed part of the former Princely State of Patiala and was included in the erstwhile PEPSU on its formation in 1948. The village along with some other villages, was transferred to Ludhiana District of Punjab on 25 January 1950 in connection with the exchange of enclaves between PEPSU and Punjab and PEPSU was merged with Punjab in 1956, on 13 April 1992, it was transferred to Fatehgarh District when the district was came into existence. It is situated on top of a big mound, which is believed to be very old and touches a height of 24 metres and is spread over an area of 200x200 metres. Practically, the internal part of the new village has been constructed with the burnt bricks dug out from the ruins of earlier inhabitations. Surface finds from the mound, especially after the rains, include copper, silver and gold coins and beads, etc. as a result of digging or even ploughing by the farmers in the lower strats of the mound large quantities of antiquities and earthern areas of a special conical type have been recovered from time to time. The coins found at the place clearly establish the historical sequence at least from the Gupta period up to the Sultanate. Among the coins, the earliest is a gold coin of Kumar Gupta, and the last one bears the name of Sultan Salban.
According to the local tradition, Sanghol was formerly known as “Sangaldwip” and the folk-lore of Rup Basant was associated with it. The name Sanghol might have been derived from Sanghalaya, a home of Sangh because some Buddhist monasteries were located here. The earthen-wares are pots and vassals of varying sizes. Large size bricks or tiles with deep marks of three fingers have been found at the place. Other articles include grinding-stones, votive tanks and clay seals. A large carved red sand stone trough has also been found at the place.
The presence of dried up old channels at places would lead to believe that Satluj, which at present flow about 10 km away, was running nearby Sanghol and has shifted its course now .
Some of the stone sculptures recovered from Sanghol bear marked Mongoloid features. The name given to some of the localities of the village even at present, such as ‘pheelkhana’ and ‘mahal’ are indicative of the fact that the place enjoyed a very high status and was probably the seat of the ruler of the area. The biggest find at Sanghol is the 117 sculptures from one place. All these sculptures which were unearthed in the area near the stupa are displayed in the museum. These are in the form of pillars (69), coping stones (13) and cross bars (35). All these sculptures are of Kushan period (1st to 2nd century AD) belongs to Mathura School of Indian Arts.
The bulk of the archaeological evidence at Sanghol leaves little doubt that the mound, which is still about 70-80 feet raised from the surrounding area, is very ancient and excavations at the place might yield rich historical date.
Gurudwara Gobindgarh Sahib ‘Ranwan’.- Gurudwara Gobindgarh Sahib is situated about 6 kms from Khamano (the tahsil Headquarter) towards east on Ludhiana-Chandigarh road. The village Ranwan is just a half km away from the gurdwara. The place was visited by Guru Hargobind, the Sixth Guru of the Sikhs. The Raja Tara Chand of Kahloor met Guru Hargobind at this place in 1632 (on 22 Bhaisakh of 1689 Bikrami ) and asked for help. Guru Gobind Singh the Tenth Guru also visited place and fought a battle here with Royal Army and defeated them. Maharaja Karam Singh of Patiala State got constructed the Gurdwara and assigned some land to it. Due to the visit of the Sixth and Tenth Gurus it is known as the Gurdwara Gobindgarh Sahib Patshahi Chhevin (Sixth) and Dasvin (Tenth). The present Gurdwara is an imposing six-story edifice.