(f) Planning Department

 

The Planning Department is represented in the district by the District Statistical Officer, assisted by a Techanical Assistant and other ministerial and Class IV staff. The additional staff, comprising an Inspector, National Sample Survey, and 4 Junior Field Investigators, was provided for the National SurveyScheme.

 

            The main functions of the District Statistical Officer are to co-ordinate the statistical activities of different departments at the district level and to publish the statistical data, to undertake adhoc socio-economic surveys, to compile, analyze and interpret the data, and to publish the reports to acquaint the Government with the results, to collect price data for supplying to different Central and State agencies, to collect weekly retail prices and to act as a store-house of statistics to Government institutions and the interested public.

 

(g) Language Department

 

            the Language Department is represented at the district level by the District Language Officer, who is assisted by one Inspector, besides ministerial and Class IV staff.

 

            The main functions of the District Language Officer are to popularize the Punjabi language in the district, to hold classes for teaching Punjabi/Hindi to Government employees, to organize classes in Punjabi type-writing and shorthand, and to assist the Government offices in translating pamphlets/books in Punjabi.


CHAPTER XIV

 

LOCAL SELF-GOVERNMENT

(a)

Evolution of Local Self Government in the District

(b)

Organization and Structure

(c)

Town Planning and Housing

(d)

Panchayati Raj

 

(a)   Evolution of Local self-Government in the District

 

Any detailed discussion about the evolution of the municipal administration duing ancient, medieval and Mughal periods will be beyond the scope of this gazetteer. However, it may be said that the municipal administration was not altogether non-existent in the country during these periods. The Amritsar District had no important town, worth the name, that could boast of having ever enjoyed in the past the benefits of local self-government in the modern sense of the world. Moreover, the district was so close to lahore-an important and powerful provincial capital in north-west India-that Amritsar, or any other town in the district, could hardly rival its importance.

 

Amritsar was founded by Guru Ram Das during the time of Akbar. The town was developed by the successive Gurus as the holiest Sikh eligious place and as an important trading-centre.

 

The municipal administration in the Punjab in the present form owes its origin to the British. Municipalities in the Punjab in the present form owes its origin to theBritish. Municipalities were not constituted in the towns on merits. The introduction of municipal administration also did not signify any marked change in the pattern of British administration by associating the local population with the running of local self-government. The British constituted municipalities, keeping many factors in view. The main factor, inter alia, at least in the towns of the Punjab was of military nature. The British army, while crossing or entering the towns of the Punjab on expeditious or otherwise, faced considerable difficulties in getting clean drinking-water. Consequently, the soldiers contracted infectious diseases which affected their health and efficiency. The Government of India Act XXVI of 1850, therefore, permitted the formation of local committees to make better provisions for public health and sanitation and to raise taxes for the said purpose. The legislative provision, however, was conditioned by the fact that the action should be taken on the application of the inhabitants. The Royal Army Sanitary Commission in its report in 1863 invited  pointed attention to the unhealthy conditions of the towns. Prompt action was taken by the Punjab Government in pursuance of the recommendations and, under the Punjab Act XV of 1867, the voluntary provision for the constitution of municipalities was dropped and the Provincial Government assumed necessary powers to set up committees to look after water-supply, lighting, sanitation, etc. of the towns. The said Act further permitted the election of a number of members of the municipal committees with the permission of the Provincial Government. The measures proved useful in improving the sanitary conditions in the towns. The Amritsar Municipality was formed in 1868 under the said Act.  

 

      Lord Mayo’s resolution on provincial finances, which encouraged the general application o the principle of election to the local bodies, was another step in the development of local self-government in India. The Punjab Act of 1873, passed in pursuance of the above resolution, made the membership of the municipal bodies permissive by elections.

 

      During the initial stage, the system of local self-government could by no means be said to be fully democratic. The predominance of the official control gave little chance for effective local representation or intitative. In fact, during this phase, the accent was more on the ‘local’ rather than on the ‘self-government’aspect of the municipal administration.

 

      The review of the local self-government dine by the Royal Commission on Decentralization in 1907-1909 did not embody any progressive municipal policy. The introduction of communal electorates under the Government of India Act, 1909, proved to be a great impediment in the growth and development of municipal administration in the Punjab. The Punjab Municipal Act, 1911 did not introduce any substantial changes in the municipal administration. In 1912, at the direction of the Government of India, the appointment of a Health Officer was made compulsory in large towns. During the period 1909-1919, there was no significant change in the municipal administration. The Deputy Commissioner continued to be the king-pin. The municipal committees continued to suffer from chronic financial stringency, rigid official control and mal-administration. The outbreak of the World War I (1914-18) adversely affected the working of the municipalities. Thegoal of ‘political and popular education’ remained as elusive as ever. By and large, the local self-government in the district continued to be one of the functions of the district officer.

 

      Under the system of dyarchy, 1919-1937, the official control was gradually relaxed and local bodies were made completely elective. It was desired to establish local self-government, whereby the people would be free to manage their own affairs. The new policy accepted the principle that the political education of the public must take precedence over departmental efficiency. The Government of India Act, 1919, prescribed a new scheme of taxes, which could be levied by, or for, the local bodies. This measure not only enlarged the sphere of taxation but also enabled th local bodies to feel independent.

 

      The Punjab Small Towns Act, 1922, simplified the machinery for the municipal administration of small towns, each with a population of less than 10,000. Under the new scheme, the town commodities consisting for all such towns. The Punjab Municipal )Executive Officer) Act, 1931, invested the Provincial Government with powers to appoint Executive Officers in the municipalities.

 

      After independence, the concept of local self-government was further changed. The municipalities were called upon to shoulder greater responsibilities for the municipal administration and to give the towns/cities a modern look. In the cities, the municipalities were required to work in collaboration with the divisional Town-Planners/Improvement Trusts. The municipalities were asked to take necessary steps for town-planning, keeping in view the future expansion of the cities and avoiding the creation of slums.

 

(b)   Organization and Structure

 

Functions and Duties of the Munipal Committees :- Under the Punjab Municipal Act, 1911, the municipal committees are required to make reasonable provision within the limits of the municipality for

(i)                the lighting of public streets, places or buildings;

(ii)               the cleaning of public streets, places and sewers and all spaces not being private property, which are open for enjoyment by the public;

(iii)             the providing of safe and sufficient water-supply for all domestic purposes;

(iv)             the extinguishing and preventing of fires;

(v)              the regulating or anating of offensive or dangerous trades or practices;

(vi)             the controlling of public and private buildings and throughfares;

(vii)           the establishing and managing of cattle pounds;

(viii)          the making of dangerous or insanitary building or places secure

(ix)             the constructing, maintaining and altering of public streets, culverts, markets, veterinary dispensaries, slaughte-house, latrines, urinals, baths, washing-places, drains, sewers;

(x)              the providing of public facilities for drinking water;

(xi)             the controlling of infectious diseases;

(xii)           the scavenging and house-scavenging

(xiii)          the acquiring, maintaining and regulating the burial-places and burning-places for the disposal of the dead, unclaimed corpses of paupers;

(xiv)         the disposing of mad and stray dogs and other animals;

(xv)           the disposing of the dead animals;

(xvi)         the arranging of public vaccination;

(xvii)        the registering of births and deaths; and

(xviii)      the naming of streets and the numbering of houses.

 

Before 1957, elementary education was one of the obligatory functions of the local bodies in the Punjab. But this system was not working satisfactorily. Charges of apathy, incompetency, ill-treatment of teachers, religious and political bias, nepotism and other forms of graft were levelled against the local bodies. Generally, the municipal bodies had not developed and adequate sense of civic responsibility in the field of education. In view of these factors, all municipal schools-primary, middle and high-in the State were provincialized in October 1957. The municipalities have since been required to pay a fixed contribution to the Government in lieu of this obligation.

 

Amritsar Municipality

[ area : 33.67 sq. km. Population (1961) : 376295]

 

            At the time of the annexation of the Punjab by the British in 1849, Amritsar was the biggest town in the Punjab. In 1867, municipalities were formed all over the province. The Amritsar Municipal Committee was constituted  as a First-Class Municipal Committee, vide Punjab Government Notification No. 950, dated the 6th April, 1968. The municipality was governed by the Act XV of 1867.

 

            The municipal committee, as formed at that time, consisted of an ex-officio member (vide Punjab Government circular No. 16-1003 of 1867), together with 24 non-official members, of whom 6 were nominated from among the European residents of the town, 6 from among the native residents and 12 were elected. Minor changes were introduced in the municipal administration by the Acts of 1872 and 1882. The Act XIII of 1887 provided a vital basis for the municipal election system. The Acts of 1891 and 1911, however, did nit introduce any material changes in the basic principles of municipal administration.

 

            After independence, new election rules were framed in 1952 (known as the Municipal Election Rules, 1952) to make municipal committees wholly elective bodies. In 1969, the Amritsar Municipality consisted of 45 elected members.

 

            The municipality has an Executive Officer who is appointed at a meeting, specially convened for the purposes, by a 5/8 majority of he members and after the formal approval of the Government. This is a tenure post, but is renewable for a period of 5 years.

 

            The different branches of the municipal Committee, Amritsar, under the administrative control of the Executive Officer, are; the General Branch under the Office Superintendent; the Accounts Branch under the Head Accountant; the Octroi Branch under the Octroi superintendent; the Tax-Collection Branch under the Tax Superintendent; the Municipal Press under the Press Superintendent; the Municipal Library under the Librarian; the Municipal Gardens under the Garden Superintendent; the official in charge Water Section; the Health Branch under the Medical Officer of Health; the Legal branch under the Legal Adviser; Municipal Magistrate; the Fire Brigade Section under the Assistant Divisional Fire Officer; the City Water works under a Superintendent; the Head Water Works under the Assistant Superintendent (Public health); the Electricity Department under the Chief Electrical Engineer; the Municipal Zanana Hospital under the Medical Superintendent; and the Dispensaries under the Medical Officers.

 

            The limits of the Amritsar Municipality were extended in 1908 and 1936, vide Punjab Government Notification No. 329, dated May 28, 1908 and No. 3032-C-36/29632, dated October 31, 1936 respectively. The municipal bye-laws were enforced from 1912. A list of these is given in Appendix I bye-laws were enforced from 1912. A list of these is given in Appendix I on pages 444-45. The water-supply was introduced in 1904; the drainage system was introduced in the city in 1912; the supply of electricity was undertaken in 1915; and the underground drainage was introduced in 1951.

 

            Water-Supply :- The Amritsar Water-Supply Scheme, using wells, was approved in 1902 at an estimated cost of Rs. 1,25,000 for supplying 1 ¼ million gallons of water per day.

 

            The sites of the wells were approved and selected between the two railway lines, viz. The Amritsar-Pathhankot and the Amritsar-Delhi lines. Forty wells were sunk, 12 along the Amritsar-Delhi railway line ans 28 along the Amritsar-Pathankot railway line. Each well is 12 feet in diameter, 124 feet apart from another and another and were sunk up to depth of 60-70 feet below the ground surface. The total supply was nearly 1 ¼ million gallons per day for the estimated population of 1,60,000. The average supply of eight gallons per person per day stood gradually decreased consequent upon the increase in population. New tube-wells had, therefore, to be installed. At present, there are 40 shallow wells and 52 tube-wells. Apart from these, there are 580 public water hydrants. The water-supply position in the Amritsar city is quite satisfactory. The annual expenditure of the municipality on the maintenance of the water-supply system in the city comes to over 9 lakhs kof rupees.

 

            Paving of Streets :- before the partition of 1947, most of the streets in the new abadis were kachcha. By 1967, almost all of these were made pucca. The   streets inside the city had already been paved with bricks. A few of them were paved with cement concrete. New colonies improved by the Improvement Trust have also paved streets. The streets of the areas developed by certain persons in their lands, however, remain unpaved.

 

            Drainage and Sewerage :- Originally, the drainage of the city was effected with central surface drains. The straight drains of the houses fell into the central surface drain. The streets were extremely narrow and sloped to the centre. This drainage system was the result of indigenous effort. The city of Amritsar was almost remidelled during the last two decades of the nineteenth century. During this period, people had developed new outlook and had started constructing houses outside the walled city, as the ditch along the wall had been filled up with debris. People also started constructing the side-surface drains by giving slopes on both the sides of a street. It was, however, after 1912 that the side drains were constructed by the municipality in the city. The new abadis, however, had no drainage system. Up to 1951, no steps were taken by the Municipal Committee to introduce underground drainage. After 1951, underground drainage was introduced into the new abadis of the city, Civil Lines and the Lawrence Road. By 1969, most of the new abadis and the city outside the walled city were covered. The municipality has chalked out a master plan of trunk sewer and some important branch sewer have been prepared. By 1969, the municipality had laid 80 km. of sewers. In some of the area of the city, viz. the Race-Course Road upto the Mental Hospital, R.C.C. sewer (well-sinking) have been laid below the spring level, and they have cost abnormally high. On laying 80 kilometers on 6” to 15” SW pipes and R.C.C. sewer from 24” to 57”, the expenditure has exceeded Rs. 50,00,000. At present, the final method is by broad irrigation and the treatment works will be installed after the trunk main sewer is laid.

 

            Electricity Department/Street Lighting :- The municipality is a licence. It has been holding a licence since 1915 under the Indian Electricity Act for the supply of electric energy to the city. The area of the supply, however, is not coterminus with the municipal area like the extrended areas, viz. Putlighar, Khalsa College, Reformatory, areas beyond the Ram Lall Eye & E.N.T. Hospital and certain areas beyond the mental Hospital have been excluded from the Committees areas. The municipality purchased the energy (A.C) from the Electricity Board in bulk and supplies it to the industrial and domestic consumers. A part of the city and the Civil Lines are fed with D.C. supply by converting the A.C. supply with rotary converters. A reference to the supply of electricity to the city by the municiplaity has already been nmade above. The total capacity of theElectricity department of the Amritsar Municipality is 32,670 K.V.A. The area getting theis facility is 18 square miles (46.62 sq. km.).

 

            Before the elecrification of Amritsar, streets were lighted with big lanterns using kerosene. These were fixed at main places according to traffic requirements. From 1915 onwards, bulbs were installed. Amritsar had one of the best street lighting arrangements in the State. The civil disturbances in 1947 considerably damaged the street lighting of the city. Therefore, the municipality rearranged the system. In 1969, there were 1468 fluroscent tubes and 8247 bulbs installed for lighting within the municipal area.

 

            Public Health :-The Municipality has a Medical Officer in charge of the Municipal Health Department. The conservancy staff consists of 843 sweepers, 149 refuse cart-drivers, 49 jamadars, 29 refuse lorry-drivers, 87 truck trollies and 92 refuse carts and night-soil carts.

 

            The Amritsar Municipal Committee has regular arrangements for the removal and disposal of the night-soil and city waste. Rubbish from the city is removed to the depots and, after conserving, manure is sold to the farmers. The watering of roads is done regularly with watering-lorries and hand-driven sprinlers. There are 21 sets of flush-type latrines with 196 seats and 14 sets of dry latrines with 148 seats, besides 64 seats of public urinals.

 

            Formerly, there was a tramway around the city and it carried rubbish in the trollies attached to the engines from the fifth depots in the walled city tso the fifth depots situated outside the city at a long distance. This system was a great nuisance and was responsible for spreading infectious diseases in the city. The filth depots being too near the city were closed. Rubbish is now taken direct to the filth depots quite away from city.

 

            Roads:- The municipality has made good  progress regarding the construction of roads. There are 151.25 km. of  kachaha/pucca metalled roads, for the maintenance of which about 10 lakhs of rupees are spent annually.

 

            Plans for beautifying Amritsar- The Amritsar Municipality has chalked out a special programme for beautifying the city. The central-verge street lights and automatic signals have installed at all the crossings on the Mall. The various gardens and parks around the city are being renovated. The fountains, and also the lights in the rose plots and over the rockery  within the historic Ram Bagh have been renovated. Dr. Shyama Parsad Mukerji Park ( formerly known as Gol Bagh) has also renovated, underground street lights have been provided and multi- coloured  fountaons have been fitted.

 

            Lohgarh Project:-  The doubled-road and the central-verge street lighting and automatic traffic signal, just as on the Mall, have been completed from Lohgarh Gate crossing towards Durgiana Temple and also towards the Beri Gate. This system has also been extended to the Lahori Gate.

 

            Besides, many other roads, viz. Dr. Surat Singh Road, the Joshipura Road, the Fatehgarh Road, the Ibban Road, the Putlighar Road, the Islamabad Road, etc. have been widened, raised and tarred.

 

            There are certain roads on which the traffic was so heavy that the tarred roads could not be maintained. The road along the Punjab Roadways Office, the Dhab Wasti Ram Road, the Nimak Mandi Road, the Swank Mandi Road, and the Kaulsar Road have, thus, been constructed with cement concrete.

 

            Foot-pathe Putlighar Bazzar, along the Jwala Flour-Mills, on the Lawrence Road, the Serai Bhagwan Dass Road, the Cemetery Road, the Putlighar, the Inner Circular Road, the Khazana Gate and the Ram Bagh Gate Road have all been constructed with cement concrete.

 

            Municipal Parks :- The municipality maintains the historic Ram Bagh, the Maharaja Ranjit Singh Hall and several subsidiary buildings in which clubs are housed. Ram bagh, popularly known as the Company Bagh, is the best garden in the State and the municipality spends over 2 lakhs of rupees on its maintenance. The other important parks maintained by the municipality are the Seth Radha Kishan Park outside the Chatiwind Gate and the Gol Bagh outside the Hathi Gate and the Hall Gate. The municipality also maintains a number of parks along the Circular Road.

 

            Libraries :- The municipality maintains a library in the Hall Bazaar and 24 reading-rooms in different parts of the city. Pandit Moti Lal Nehru Municipal Library, stocking about 30000 books, is the biggest municipal library in the state.

 

            The income and expenditure of the Municipality are given below:

 

Year

Income (Rs)

Expenditure (Rs.)

1960-61

12477531

10968759

1961-62

12644266

12968254

1962-63

15160757

14652042

1963-64

14649398

14869466

1964-65

16373687

16152555

1965-66

14544789

15221398

1966-67

18561985

17566099

1967-68

19745250

20418795

 

Khem Karan Municipality

 

[ Area : 2.59 sq. km. Population (1961) : 7142]

 

            A second-class municipality was constituted at Khem Karan in 1868. The municipal committee consisted of 6 members in 1914-15, 2 nominated (including one of the Kamboh owners), and 4 elected. Before the Indo-Pak Conflict of 1965, the town was divided into eight wards, each of which was represented by an elected member. From November 1967, the town has been divided into ten wards, one of which forms a double-member constituency. The number of elected members has, thus, been raised to 11, out of which one is elected President and another Vice-President.

 

            Previously, the town had three pucca bazaars and a boundary wall, with eight gates. The town was almost completely destroyed during the Indo-Pak Conflict of 1965. Through self-help and with Government grants, the residents have practically reconstructed the town. The Government buildings have also been rebuilt. The town was re-electrified in May 1966. The municipality has installed 135 lighting points in the town . the state Public Health Department has also completed waterworks in Khem Karan at a cost of Rs. 7,00,000.

 

            The municipality levies only octroi and house tax. It maintains a 1.5 km. Length of roads. The side-surface drainage system was introduced in 1914. After the Indo-Pak Conflict, underground drainage was introduced into Government buildings. The municipality has opened a small library-cum-reading room in the town.

 

            For cleanliness, the municipality has employed 9 scavengers and 8 handicarts for the disposal of refuse.

 

            The income and expenditure of the municipality are given below:

 

Year

Income (Rs)

Expenditure (Rs.)

1961-62

35074

34852

1966-67

64059

32196

1967-68

39808

53221

1968-69

73991

60773

1964-65

16373687

16152555

 

            Patti Municipality

 

[ Area : 2.59 sq. km. Population (1961) : 15833]

 

            Patti, formerly a part of the Kasur Tahsil of the Lahore District (Pakistan) and transferred to the Amritsar District in August 1947, was a second-class municipality from 1874 to 1912-13, when it was reduced to the status of a notified area. Its boundaries were fixed by Government Notifications, dated September 25, 1912, and May 3, 1913. It was again raised to a second-class municipality, vide Notification No. 24253/LSG, dated August 26, 1926. The boundaries were also again fixed, vide Punjab Government Notification No. 24093, dated August 25, 1926. Bye-laws were introduced in 1927. A list of these is given in Appendix II on page 446.

 

            In 1913, the Notified Area Committee, Patti, had five members appointed by the Government, whereas in 1962, the Committee had 9 elected members (including one Scheduled Caste elected from the double-member constituency). In 1969, there were 13 elected members. The term of election is 3 years.

 

            The municipality employs 31 scavengers for the disposal of refuse. It maintains a tractor trolley and two carts for the purpose.

 

            Patti was electrified in 1951. The municipality has installed 386 lighting points in the streets. It maintains 6.53 km. Of roads within the municipal limits.

 

            The main taxes imposed by the municipality are octroi, house tax, cinema-show tax, toll tax, building-application tax etc.

 

            The Patti Municipal Committee runs a Civil Dispensary, a Maternity Hospital and a Family-Planning Centre. The annual expenditure on these comes to over Rs. 20,000. The municipality has constructed a bus-stand a Patti and 21 shops at three places. These are a regular source of income.

 

            The income and expenditure of the municipality are as under:

Year

Income (Rs)

Expenditure (Rs.)

1960-61

171272

155794

1961-62

184904

193945

1962-63

170619

189317

1963-64

195900

195178

1964-65

239487

186803

1965-66

250792

232590

1966-67

264929

320190

1967-68

251594

258842

1968-69

362294

317412

 

Jandiala Guru Municipality

 

[ Area : 4.04 sq. km. Population (1961) : 11915]

 

            The municipality fortunes of Jandiala Guru have considerably varied. A full fledged municipality in 1912, it was reduced to a notified area in 1916; but it again became a second-class  municipality in 1929 and comprised 12 members, of whom 9 were elected and 3 were nominated. 1964, the strength of the elected members was raised to 13.

 

            The limits of the municipality fixed in 1927 were revised in 1937. These were again revised in 1962, vide punjab Government Notification No. S.O.1969/PA-3/II/S.7/62, dated August 6, 1962. The bye-laws were introduced in 1936. A list of these is given in Appendix III on page 447.

 

            Previously, the streets of Jandiala Guru were paved with old type small bricks. The municipality had now taken up the reflooring of the streets with standard bricks.

 

            Previously, the streets of Jandiala Guru hadf central surface drain. In 1952 the municipality began the construction of side surface drains. By 1969, all the streets were remodelled with side-surface drains at a cost of over two lakhs of rupees.

 

            The sullage water is collected in a tank and, through pumping-sets, it is used for irrigation. The municipality realizes annually over Rs. 6,000 from its auction.

 

            The street lighting was provided in Jandiala Guru by the municipal committee in 1946 with 100 lighting points. By 1969, the number of points was raised to 236.

 

            The municipal committee employed 28 scavengers for scavenging. Four bullock-carts are maintained for removing the rubbish. After preparing the compost from the night-soil, the municipality sell it for more than Rs. 5,000 annually.

 

            The municipal committee has also set up a library.

 

             In 1965, the municipality constructed a building at a cost of Rs. 61,000 (including Rs. 45,000 as grant from the Government) on the land donated by the public. In that building, the Government have started a Civil Maternity Hospital with 25 beds. The municipality has also constructed a bus stand at a cost of Rs. 18,000.

 

            The taxes levied by the municipality comprise octroi, toll tax, house tax, vehicle tax and cinema-show tax.

The income and expenditure of the municipality are given below:-

 

 

Year

Income (Rs)

Expenditure (Rs.)

1961-62

246228

140307

1962-63

263770

144640

1963-64

288279

169376

1964-65

235832

153285

1965-66

224400

194204

1966-67

185486

187885

1967-68

180023

157749

 

Amritsar

 

Tran Taran Municipality

 

            Tran Taran has had a chequered municipal history. It was made a municipality as long as 1886, but was reduced to the status of a notified area in 1915 and to that of a small town in 1924. It became a second-class municipality again after ten years in 1934, vide Punjab Government Notification No. 1429, dated November 1, 1934. Its limits were also enlarged in 1934. The bye-laws were introduced in 1939, vide Notification No. 123. A list of these is given in Appendix IV on page 448.

 

            In the beginning, the municipality had 9 members, of whom 2 were nominated. By 1969, their number had been raised to 15.

 

            A water-supply scheme was introduced in 1961 at a cost of 5.05 lakhs of rupees. The water-supply has been extended to three-fourth of the town.

 

             The town was electrified in 1934. The municipality has installed 496 electric points for stret-lighting. It has employed 68 scavengers for the cleanliness of the town. For the removal of refuse and night-soil, one tractor, three trollies and one bullock-cart are used. The night-soil, one tractor, three trollies and one bullock-cart are used. The night-soil is deposited in compost pits and sold by auction fetching an income of Rs. 3500 per year. A road length of 9 kilometres (7 km. Pucca and 2 km. Kachacha) is maintained by the municipality.

 

            There is no underground drainage system in the town. The Government buildings have, however, been provided with underground drainage at a cost of rupees two lakhs.

 

            The main taxes levied by the municipality are house tax, cinema-show tax, rickshaw tax, pilgrim tax and the building-application tax. Tarn Taran is a historical town and a place of pilgrimage because of the famous gurdwara constructed by Guru Arjan Dev. People visit it in large numbers wvery month on the Amavas to have a dip into the holy tank. The municipality levies a pilgrim tax at the rate of two paise per pilgrim. The amount is realized through the railway authorities and comes to about Rs. 7000 per annum. Besides, the municipality has constructed 92 shops in the town and their annual rent amounts to about Rs. 35000.

 

            The municipality runs a library in the town. The income and expenditure of the municipality are given hereunder:

 

Year

Income (Rs)

Expenditure (Rs.)

1960-61

461637

482156

1961-62

499017

518133

1962-63

456755

439265

1963-64

453000

396256

1964-65

429425

3844875

1965-66

476720

535679

1966-67

547398

472038

1967-68

544012

586599

1968-69

657357

630932

 

Majitha Municipality

 

[ Area : 0.21 sq. km. Population (1961) : 6973]

 

            The municipal Committee, Majitha, was constituted in 1924, as a second-class municipality. Even though Majitha had a previous municipal history, the bye-laws were introduced in 1957. A list of these is given in Appendix V on page 449.

 

            The Committee has 11 elected members, out of which one is elected President and another Vice-President.

 

            The municipality has employed 12 scavengers for the cleanliness of the town. For removing the refuse and night-soil, a bullock-cart and five wheel-barrows are maintained. The night-soil is deposited in the compost pits and later sold by auction which fetches an annual income of Rs. 3000 to 4000.

 

            Majitha was electrified was electrified in 1957-58. For street-lighting, 136 lighting-points have been installed.

 

            Most of the streets of the town still have central surface drains. The new streets and the bazaars have side surface drainage. The sullage water is not properly utilised and is released into low-lying lands outside the town.

 

            The Municipal Committee has also introduced underground drainage in the bazaars of the town, but it has not yet started functioning.

 

            The Municipal Committee runs a library. It also maintains one kilometre of metalled roads.

 

            The income and expenditure of the municipality are as under:

 

Year

Income (Rs)

Expenditure (Rs.)

1960-61

34829

33678

1961-62

189152

175076

1962-63

132963

130984

1963-64

53494

64447

1964-65

47618

42362

1965-66

49886

45543

1966-67

28077

26899

1967-68

81001

61781

1968-69

55374

59520

 

Contents    Next