The Department of Revenue, Rehabilitation & Disaster Management is headed by the Financial Commissioner Revenue, who is also the Secretary to Govt. Punjab in respect of Revenue department. For carrying on the work of Department of Revenue, Rehabilitation & Disaster Management, the State of Punjab has been divided into five divisions namely; Jalandhar, Patiala, Roopnagar, Ferozepur and Faridkot and each division is headed by the Commissioner. Divisions are divided into Districts, which are headed by the Deputy Commissioners, who also exercises the powers of Collector and Registrar under Indian Registration and Stamp Acts. Districts are divided into Sub-Divisions, Tehsils and Sub-Tehsils. Sub Divisions are headed by the Sub Divisional Magistrates and Tehsils are headed by Tehsildars and Sub-Tehsils are headed by Naib Tehsildars. There are 22 districts in the State. 82 Sub-Divisions, 82 Tehsils and 85 Sub-Tehsils in the State of Punjab.
ORGANIZATION AND FUNCTIONS OF REVENUE DEPARTMENT
The Department of Revenue and Rehabilitation mainly deals with following subjects:
1. Collection of Land Revenue, Commercial Cess etc.
2. Consolidation of Small Land holdings of individual farmers.
3. Agrarian reforms
4. The work relating to muafis in favour of religious institutions and Dharam Arth establishment.
5. Provision of relief to the sufferers of Natural Calamities
6. Policy regarding administration of Indian Stamp Act and Indian Registration Act.
7. Establishment matters pertaining to District Revenue Officers, Tehsildars, Naib Tehsildars, Kanungos, Patwaris and other employees of offices of Commissioners of Divisions Deputy Commissioners, Director Land Record and Director Consolidation of Holdings.
8. Matters pertaining to Land Acquisition Act.
9. Policy for sale of Govt. Land such as Provisional Govt. Land Nazool Land, Inferior evacuee land and evacuee land.
10. Provisions of vehicles, telephones to the field authorities.
11. Matters pertaining to recovery of Taccavi Loans and Govt. dues.
12. Boundary disputes, Chandigarh and other areas.